The Doris Duan-Young Autism Center
The Doris Duan-Young Autism Center (DDY) is one of the most credible global brands that supports the needs of Children and Young Adults of Determination.
There are a lot of significant areas that DDY stands out from its competitors, and one is its state-of-the-art facilities. The facilities at DDY are spread over 11,500 square feet at Al Razi Medical Complex, Dubai Healthcare City giving parents, caretakers, and People of Determination the benefit and convenience of access to interdisciplinary care in proximity. Apart from DDY’s overwhelming area size, the center lives by its motto, “Expertise That Cares” through both its evidence-based protocols and technologies.
Facilities at DDY
Facilities at DDY provides innovative and technology-enabled environments including:
- Sensory Development Center (Sensory Corner and Sensory Pods): Features fiberoptic
illuminations, LED ball pit, bubble columns, vibrating bean bag chair, soothing aurora lights, and sensory toys, among others.
- Imagination Center: Adopts ‘play’ into teaching independent living in the home, supermarket, and other simulation setups.
- Media and Group Play Center: Fosters social skills through activities like games, movies, dancing, karaoke, or rock climbing.
- Observation Room: Parents and caretakers can observe a session in progress using a one-way mirror, minimizing distraction and the child’s reactivity. In addition, the live recording feature helps parents replay sections.
- 3D Immersive Technology (Magic Carpet): An interactive environment that can be customized for education, calming sensory application, rehabilitation, mainstream learning, social skills, group responding, speed and dexterity, visual performance, and concentration.
- Occupational Therapy Room: Many children and adults diagnosed with Autism and other developmental disorders have dysfunctional sensory systems.
Difficulties faces People with Autism
They may present with difficulties with responding to what they see, hear, taste, smell and touch. Some may have fearful reactions to movement activities such as swings, slides and trampolines.
Some may seek vestibular inputs as seen by excessive jumping and/or spinning.
These children may find it difficult to respond appropriately and safely to certain situations.
They may have difficulty concentrating, communicating and learning new things.
Occupational Therapy Room
Our Occupational Therapy room is spacious and is equipped with sensory materials such as slides, vestibular balls and a variety of swings that helps address sensory issues for each child.
The OT room’s floor and walls are covered in padded material to ensure the client’s safety while using the OT equipment and engaging in therapy.
All of these state-of-the-art facilities can be showcased to communicate innovation and DDY’S commitment to comprehensive care which has been further demonstrated through the Excellence Awards received from Dubai Healthcare City Authority for two consecutive years, 2019 and 2020.